Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Let's talk soup

So I planned to make a white chicken chili c/o Southern Living on Monday for Halloween.   We had family coming over and I thought it would be a great meal to serve guests alongside cornbread and salad.  Well, the recipe called for 3 cans of Northern beans.  I omitted these due to my husband's delicate stomach.  But getting rid of a key ingredient changed the recipe from chili to soup.  And again, flexibility reigns supreme.  It was a little bland, so I added more cumin, red pepper flakes and coarse salt.  I will point out that Ben had a "I told you so moment".  If you didn't know already, those moments are pretty obnoxious.  He doesn't believe you should 'test' recipes out on guests, yet I'm almost always trying something new for company.   Obviously his opinion doesn't sway me to change my ways.  So the chili turned into chicken tortilla soup and I got great reviews (minus my husband who still stood by his 'bland' rating).  I topped it with cilantro, chips, light sour cream, jalapenos, salsa & Monteray Jack cheese.  Delish.

Here's the link.  http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/white-christmas-chili-10000000366856/

I started cooking around 1:00 and kept the chili/soup on low for about 3 hours.  I didn't cover, but talked to a friend who always covers when she makes this recipe.  I will probably cover the dutch oven next time around.  I doubled the cumin from 1 tsp to 2 tsp.  I would add another 1/2 tsp next time (maybe when I'm sauteing the celery and onion).  I also added 2 extra chicken breasts since I had a crowd coming over (from 4 chicken breasts to 6).  I added more celery (3/4 cups vs 1/3).   I omitted beans. 

There weren't any leftovers, but this recipe is supposed to even better the next day. 

Enjoy!

Yoyo

No comments:

Post a Comment