Thursday, November 17, 2011

Bacon and Brussels Sprouts

So I tried two new recipes last night.  Bacon and Cider Chicken & Gratin Brussels Sprouts (also w/ bacon).  I've never made brussels sprouts before, but Ben likes them so thought I would give them a try.  I found both recipes through Cooking Light (an annual addition and special edition mag).

Here are my thoughts ~

My counter space slightly sucks when preparing dual dishes.  Realize that comment has nothing to do with the actual recipes, but felt like sharing anyways.

I recommend prepping.  Makes like so much easier, right?  Not just for cooking either.  Getting things together ahead of time (if you can) creates a (less) stressful environment.  Ben got in my way last night and it almost got ugly.  Because I was frantic cooking and that's no way to cook.  So prepping would've alleviated that feeling and maybe actually drinking the glass of wine I poured (don't worry, I finished it later).   So there you go...prep.  You're welcome for that gem of information.

Really braise the brussels sprouts.  The recipe says 'almost tender' before transferring them into a small casserole dish and covering with homemade breadcrumbs and bacon.  I should've given them a couple more minutes on the stove as the broiler (on Lo) really just crisps the crumbs and bacon (it's only in oven for about 3 minutes).

Overall, nice side dish.  I cut the recipe in half (although I did use 3 slices of bacon).

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/brussels-sprouts-gratin-50400000107526/

2nd recipe ~

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-with-cider-bacon-sauce-10000001011270/

 I followed recipe for the most part, just added an extra slice of bacon (because I love bacon).   Again, halved the recipe since I was only cooking for two last night.   All in all, recommend.  Ben wasn't crazy about the cider flavor, but didn't know beforehand he wasn't a fan of cider to begin with.  He still ate it so guess he doesn't hate it completely. 

Not sure what I rate this meal and Ben didn't indulge me last night.  His only comment was "it was good."  If you try anything, let me know.  Love feedback.

Happy cooking!  Happy eating!

Yoyo

No comments:

Post a Comment