Monday, December 5, 2011

Time to play catch up...

So I've been cooking, just not writing.  Finding I'm not the best at making time for this venture.  Will share 3 recent recipes and promise to write more consistently.  I know you're relieved.  Here goes:

Great side dish and super easy to make ~ Couscous with Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese (added mushrooms too).   This jumped off the page and into my 'must make' recipe pile as soon as I opened up to page 337 in the annual Cooking Light 2006.  I had a holiday party with close girlfriends, who are all talented cooks, bakers or especially talented at picking out bottle(s) of wine (or Bailey's) and I was responsible for a side dish.  This seemed flavorful, fast and easy to make.  And since this was a 'low stress' event, it won out over more complicated dishes. 

I used whole wheat couscous from Trader Joe's.  One box was more than enough since I tripled the recipe.  I added one container of baby Bella mushrooms and used A.A. Borsari original seasoning instead of garlic pepper.  I also added a tsp of minced garlic while sauteing the onions and mushrooms.  Here's the recipe in full:

1 tbsp olive oil ~ 2 cups thinly sliced red onion ~ 1 cup uncooked couscous ~ 1 tsp garlic pepper ~1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese ~ 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

1. Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over med-high heat.  Add onion (and mushrooms, minced garlic), and saute 7 minutes (or until browned). 
2.  Combine couscous and seasoning in a medium (I recommend using a larger bowl if increasing the recipe), top with onion and cheese.  Place broth in a microwave-safe measuring cup, microwave at HIGH 2.5 minutes or until hot.  Slowly pour over couscous mixture  Cover, let stand 5 minutes.  Fluff with a fork, tossing until well combined.  Yield 5 servings.

I will make this again for on Christmas, but will probably use vegetable broth to make this a friendly dish for my vegetarian family members.  All in all, highly recommend. 

Break time, Emerson up and ready to start the day.  At least I got one recipe done. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment