Monday, December 19, 2011

Wraps for dinner ~ Donut holes for dessert

I'm back.  I know I've been a bit lax this month, but it's been busy so fall back.  I'm here now and I've got two recipes to share.  One is all mine, the other is from http://www.onceuponachef.com/

Here goes:

Spinach roll-ups with pancetta ~

1/2 bag of frozen spinach ~ 4 strips of pancetta ~  tbsp olive oil ~ 1/4 cup panko crumbs ~ tbsp minced garlic ~ kosher salt/freshly ground pepper ~ dash of minced onions ~ 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese ~  2 whole wheat tortillas

Heat a medium size saute pan on med/high heat.  Pour in olive oil and continue to let pan heat up.  Pour in frozen spinach (don't thaw).  Saute for a couple minutes.  As it thaws, dump in bread crumbs, minced garlic, minced onion and salt/pepper.  Continue to saute.  In another smaller pan, cook pancetta.  Once done, crumble and mix with spinach.  While spinach is finishing up (takes about 10 minutes, but wasn't really timing!), take out tortillas and sprinkle one side with cheddar cheese.  Spoon spinach mixture on top of cheese and tightly roll up.  Cut in half and serve.   I gave these to my kids with carrots and ranch dip on the side.  E hates anything green so big flop with her.  Brooklynn is negotiating bites but does that with everything so not a reliable judge.  Ben thought the spinach was 'pretty good'.  So, there you go.   Hope you like it!

On to snickerdoodle donut holes care of http://www.onceuponachef.com/.  Or going to have to break because Brooklynn is driving me absolutely mad.  And so is Ben.  Breath.  Just breath.

I'm baaaaaccckkkk.  And just had a donut hole for breakfast.  So much for eating healthy these days.  I have totally given in to the holiday overindulgence.  And.am.loving.it!

Let's talk about sweets.  I made this adapted recipe from Nigella Lawson/Once Upon a Chef.  Ben thought they came out a bit dry, however, I like them.  And they were super easy to make.  I don't think I creamed the butter/sugar well enough, but not sure how much that affects the overall product.  Maybe I'll see some of you this week and you can sample and let me know your thoughts.  I'm going to try to makes these again soon because I can do better and really want to serve these guys on Christmas. 

http://www.onceuponachef.com/2011/12/donut-hole-cookies-snickerdoodles.html#more

The big difference in her cookies and Nigella's is nutmeg.  Gives them that donut-y taste.   I followed everything to the letter minus creaming the butter correctly (rookie mistake).  Oh, I also used Vietnamese cinnamon (Extra Fancy) from Penzey's spices.  According to the bottle, it is the 'highest quality cinnamon available in America'.  What?????  It ends with 'an amazing cinnamon'.  So you should probably get some.  Because it's the best.  And who doesn't want the best.  If you say you don't you are a liar and probably shouldn't read my blog anymore as I don't want to be associated with liars.  Thanks.

Okay, so make a batch of these little guys and let me know how they came out.  Feel free to drop by and I'll make us some coffee and we'll sample and discuss their delightfulness.  See you soon.

Happy Cooking!  Happier Eating!

Yoyo

No comments:

Post a Comment