Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Salsa & a Cowboy Salad

So, it's been awhile.  The holidays are over and I'm beginning to breath normally again.  It was such a nice holiday season.   I already feel like preparing for Christmas 2012.   But for now I'll just concentrate on getting back into a proper gym routine, gutting and reorganizing my house and cooking, cooking, cooking! 

I did get new pots and pans.  And new knives (cut myself twice immediately).  And a Cuisinart Smart Stick handheld blender with multiple attachments.  I then treated myself to a magnetic knife holder for over my oven and am saving for a new Cuisinart TBD how many cups food processor.  Any suggestions?

And I gutted and reorganized my kitchen.  It feels like a brand new space and I couldn't be more excited.  The key, get sh*& off your counter tops (if at all possible).   There you go.  That's my big advice for the day.  Your welcome.  Now on to the recipes.

Salsa (used the Smart Stick):

1 large tomato (used hothouse variety from WF)
1/2 large red onion
1 lime (for juice)
1 red chili pepper (nice heat)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 tsp (or to taste) Mexican sea salt (Sal Viva...The Salt of Life...got as a present and love, love, love)

Chop/dice first two ingredients and throw in bowl (throw some cilantro in as well) and blend until you have the desired consistency.  Add remaining ingredients and stir.  I added lime juice, salt and cilantro until I was happy and let some of the seeds of the red pepper slip in as I like some heat in my salsa.   It was delish.

Cowboy Salad (got this recipe off a can of black-eyed peas) ~ made on New Year's Day

1 (14 to 15 oz) can black-eyed peas (ready to serve)
1 lime
1 tomato
1 onion (used white)
1 red chili pepper (added that to recipe)
Salt/pepper
Called for cilantro, but didn't have any

I drained the peas, but didn't rinse (might do that next time) and added them to a medium sized bowl.   Chopped/diced tomato, onion and red chili pepper and added to peas.  Added lime juice and salt/pepper to taste.  Nice combination, but def would've been better with cilantro.  I ate most of the salad so obviously should have a nice amount of good luck in 2012. 

I'm backlogged with recipes from the holidays.  Going to chose my fav's and post soon.  In the meantime, look out for a stuffed chicken and other yummy dishes to come.

Get in the kitchen and cook something fantastic...I mean it.  Go!  Then please report back and share recipes. :)

Here's to a new year of cooking! 

xoxo,

Yoyo

2 comments:

  1. How funny - I also got a SmartStick hand blender, and 2 new knives, and I got the boyfriend new pans so I can cook at his place. :) Just made a new recipe of Chicken with Lemon and Kalamatta Olives with couscous, courtesy of a new cookbook from my sis and the SF Junior League. I'll have to share some of the recipes - this one was delicious and a twist on some flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do the SAME exact thing and clear off the counters in my way-too-tiny kitchen.

    ReplyDelete