Thursday, October 20, 2011

Almost a winner, winner chicken dinner

Tried out JO's Crunchy Garlic Chicken last night served with a mixed greens salad and dinner rolls.  It's on page 241 of Food Revolution.  Again, loved the simplicity of the recipe but recommend frying the chicken instead of baking (my route).  Think the flavor would hold more in a pan on the oven than on a sheet in the oven.  My only gripe is the recipe calls for butter in the food processor when making the delicious outer coating.  This turns it into paste instead of crumbs.  Ben's suggested after the fact to melt the butter first.  This is not specified, however, maybe I was just supposed to know? 

Key notes:

I doubled the garlic (from 1 clove to 2)
Used 8 - 10 crackers (instead of 6)
Just threw in Italian parsley (instead of measuring out 4 sprigs)

If you do bake, the cook time is spot on (unless you have a thicker piece of chicken).  I made a honey mustard vinaigrette from http://www.onceuponachef.com/.  I can't repost here, but highly recommend her site.  It goes with her roasted beet salad.  Flavor amazing and perfect dipping sauce for chicken (cut up in strips).

I give the baking method a 7/10 (even though it did bake perfectly...v. tender and juicy).  Flavor 8/10.  Think this would easily be bumped to a 9 or 10 when fried and fixed the breadcrumb dilemma.  

Both my kids loved the chicken so can mark this off as 'Family Friendly'!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/crunchy-garlic-chicken

Happy cooking!  Happy Eating!

Yoyo

No comments:

Post a Comment