Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Super Skirt Steak

I'm all about Martha this week.  While I originally thought I'd head back to the 80's, Martha's Great Food Fast spoke to me in a no-nonsense kind of way.   She can be really bossy, right?  And I didn't really have a good argument not to use her book this week.  I count it as a win/win since her recipes rock.  

Last night was chili-rubbed skirt steak with steamed green beans.  The flavor was nicely balanced with the chili powder, coriander, oregano and light brown sugar.   Add a little sea salt and pepper and it's done.  You lightly oil (with olive oil) both sides of the skirt steaks (about 1 1/4 lbs cut into 4 pieces) and then add the spice mixture, patting to help it adhere.  This is the part that intimidated me.  You broil the steaks for 5-8 minutes.  I'm not the biggest fan of our broiler.  It's 0 to 60 and can totally ruin a meal if not watched every.single.second.   Okay, I'm exaggerating some.  But seriously, I started taking this meal out at around 2.5 minutes.  It wasn't ready.  It needed 5 minutes and I needed a Xanax.  Or a glass of wine, which I had by the way.  I might have even added an extra minute or two to crisp up the outside, but the inside came out a beautiful medium rare.  And while this simple meal encouraged me to lose my temper with my husband and 4 yo (the broiler brings out the worst in me, what can I say?), it was really, really good.  Martha serves with a romaine heart salad with creamy chili dressing.  I went with steamed green beans instead because Ben isn't on great terms with anything lactose.  However, you shouldn't be deprived of what could very well be, the best salad ever (although I highly doubt it's the 'best ever', it's probably more in the pretty good category).  If this is the best salad ever, please let me know so I can try ASAP.  Sorry Ben, my loyalty is to flavor not your jacked-up lactose intolerance nonsense.  I'll include the recipe along with the skirt steaks below.  Enjoy!

Steak:
Serves 4

2 tsp chili powder / 1 tsp coriander / 1 tsp light brown sugar / 1/2 tsp dried oregano / coarse salt & pepper / 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs beef skirt steak cut into 4 pieces / 1 1/2 tsp of olive oil

Heat broiler with the rack 4 inches from the heat.  In small bowl, combine ingredients through pepper.  Coat steaks evenly on both sides with olive oil and then sprinkle/pat spice mixture all over both sides.  Place steaks on rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan.  Broil steaks without turning, until medium-rare, 5 to 8 minutes.  Transfer steaks to large platter and cover with foil for 10 minutes.  Remove foil and divide steaks among 4 plates.  Drizzle with any accumulated juices from platter. 

Salad:

1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream / 2 tbsp light mayo / 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice / 1 tsp chili powder / coarse salt & pepper / 2 heads romaine lettuce / 1/4 cup chopped scallions

In a medium bowl, place the sour cream, mayo, lemon juice, and chili powder: season with salt & pepper.  Whisk to combine  Remove dark outer leaves from each head of romaine, leaving the heart; place leaves in a plastic bag lined with a paper towel and refrigerate for another use.  Slice hearts in half lengthwise.  Place one half on each plate; top with dressing. Sprinkle with scallions and serve.

Happy Cooking!  Happy Eating!

Yoyo

No comments:

Post a Comment