Monday, October 24, 2011

There's always next Sunday...

My intention yesterday was to make a lovely roast dinner for my family.  I ended up buying the wrong cut of meat (tenderloin instead of regular pork loin) and had to be 'flexible' with my well-laid plans.   I really need to learn how to read a recipe.  This doesn't bode well for me since I was an English major.  One would think my reading skills would be up to par.  I'm going to blame the kids.  Because I can.  Moving on.

So, I bought the wrong cut of meat.  Still a great cut though, so improvising wasn't a big deal.  I found a recipe out of The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook (pg. 371).  Just a simple roast pork tenderloin recipe, but I added one of their recommended glazes, apricot-orange.  Everything was going along swimmingly until I read the recipe literally, another problem I have with cooking.  Instead of using the eyes God gave me, I put all my faith in the times given to me in whatever recipe I'm using.  My tenderloin needed to be browned prior to putting it in the oven for 10-15 minutes.  I 'gently' browned it instead of actually browning it, messing me up later.  Because I followed their times instead of seeing the obvious, that my tenderloin wasn't in fact browned.  It was more like a light spray tan.  Again, I improvised.  I cut the meat into medallions and simmered on the cooktop in the glaze/sauce.  Came out pretty good, but there is room for improvement, especially given my husband's rating of a 7.75 (my dad gave me an 8ish, to be fair). 

I served the tenderloin with homemade applesauce (I'll give you a minute to be impressed) and a simple baby arugula salad with Martha's (first name basis too, obviously) favorite vinaigrette (added shallots for my own twist on it).    All in all, good meal.  Took a little longer than anticipated, but we still ate at a decent hour.  And a good bottle of wine always pushes the meal towards greatness (that's where my dad's 'ish' came from, I'm sure).  Visited http://www.bin201.com/ again and they recommened a light Italian Pinot Noir.  I just dug it out of the recycling, you're welcome.  It's San Pietro, Alto Adige 2009.  Even has a pretty label, great for presentation.  Ok, back to recycling, bottle.  Thanks for the memories.

Recipes below ~ enjoy!

Roast Pork Tenderloin:
serves 6 (adjust accordingly)

2 pork tenderloins (3/4 or 1 lb each, trimmed)
Sea salt/freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used canola)

Adjust rack to lower-middle position and heat to 450 degrees.  Pat tenderloins dry with paper towel and season with salt/pepper.  Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over high heat until just smoking.  BROWN tenderloins on all sides (about 10 minutes - liars).  Transfer to 9x13 baking dish.  Roast in oven till the center registers 135 degrees (10 - 15 minutes).  Turn once 1/2way through.  Transfer tenderloins to carving board, tent with foil and let rest until pork reaches internal temp of 145 to 150 degrees before slicing (about 10 minutes).

If using a glaze, add prior to putting in oven.  Here's the one I used:
1 cup apricot preserves
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup dried apricots, quartered (omitted this)
3 tbsps fresh lemon juice

Combine all ingredients.  After browning pork, pour off the fat and add ingredients to pan.  Scrape up any browned bits and simmer until slightly thickened and fragrant (about 3 mintues).  Pour over roast.

Jamie Oliver's Applesauce (from Food Revolution):

3 good eating apples (I used Honeycrisp)/ 1/2 an orange / a pat of butter / 1/4 cup sugar / 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon / 1/4 tsp of a nutmeg (used ground) / 1/4 tsp ground cloves

Peel and core apples and chop into rough 1-inch pieces.  Zest orange half over a small saucepan and squeeze in juice. Add butter, sugar, and ground cinnamon.  Grate over nutmeg and add the ground cloves. Put pan over low heat and let the butter gently melt.  Stir until butter looks all foamy, then stir in apple pieces.  Place a lid and cook for 20 - 25 minutes (I added an extra 10 minutes).   Add more sugar if you think it needs it.  I also added a pinch more cinnamon.  Serve warm or cold.

Martha's Fav Vinaigrette (from Great Food Fast):
makes 1 cup

1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
pinch of sugar
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

I added some minced shallots as well.  Whisk ingredients through sugar in a small bowl (or 'borrowed' mason jar).  Slowly add oil, whisking until emulsified.  Or shake in 'borrowed' mason jar.  Store in airtight container or jar, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.  Shake before using.

Happy cooking!  Happy eating!

Yoyo

1 comment:

  1. I love that dressing too and I usually add shallots as well! Love the new blog!

    ReplyDelete