Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Take Two

So, let's talk about dinner last night.  Pot-Roast Meatloaf, pg 161 of Food Revolution.  De-lish.  I mean, there's bacon in this recipe.  12 delightful slices layered on top of the 'football' shaped loaf of meat.  And the sauce, oh, the sauce.  My husband 'rated' this meal an 8.75.  However, he couldn't give me any constructive feedback.  So, I give it a solid 9.0.  A.  I mean, what's with the .75.  Just give me the 9.0.  Don't be a jerk.  I do like the rating system though.  Although I don't entirely trust my husband's palette.  However, Jimmy was over last night and could find nothing wrong with my meal.  So, there you go.

I had to improvise a bit:

Used 'golden round crackers' 365  brand instead of Jacob's
Used 3 cloves of garlic (instead of just 2)
Used 1 jalapeno b/c Whole Foods didn't have red chiles
Used regular paprika (calls for 'smoked')
Omitted garbanzo beans
Used 2 tbsps of oregano/balsamic vinegar (instead of straight balsamic)
Used dried rosemary (instead of 2 sprigs of fresh)
Did not use any lemon for garnish or otherwise

Cooked loaf for called time initially (30 minutes), but after adding bacon and sauce to pan, needed 20 minutes (instead of 10 to 15) and 1 - 2 minutes under the broiler on HI to crisp the bacon.  Ovens vary, so err on side of caution.  Can always add more time.  

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/pot-roast-meatloaf-usa-version-imperial

I served with mixed greens topped with cucumbers, tomatoes, blue cheese and walnuts.  I will try and take pictures to post from now on.

I really, really liked this meal.  While I didn't think I was a fan of meatloaf (the name alone turns me off), JO's recipe taught me otherwise.  I happily 'pass this on' to all of you and hope you like it as much as my family did (I mean, 8.75 is a pretty good rating). 

Happy Cooking, Happy Eating.

Yoyo

No comments:

Post a Comment